View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 16, 2016, 1:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
In Britain, meanwhile, the Jewish population is much more concentrated in London nowadays than it was in the early 20th century. Manchester, Leeds and to some extent Glasgow had good sized Jewish populations.
Of those four British cities mentioned, Leeds and Glasgow certainly have declined in terms of Jewish population by A LOT in the past few decades. Manchester, however, has held its own, staying constant at roughly 30-35,000 or a bit more. This is due both to provincial British Jews moving to Manchester from places like Leeds and Glasgow, and to the increase in the Haredi population over there. Outside London, therefore, I'd say that British Jewry has concentrated itself much more in Manchester than in the past. London, of course, takes the cake in terms of ever-increasing concentrations of British Jewry living just there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
^ More spread out than say, Baltimore, Cleveland or Detroit, but L.A. probably has the most geographically concentrated Jewish population of any Western U.S. city.
My feeling is that Detroit Jewry is more spread out than Baltimore or Cleveland Jewry, though perhaps not quite as much as LA Jewry. As an example, I'm sure that Oak Park/Southfield and West Bloomfield, where many of Detroit's more observant Jews live, are much further apart geographically than the equivalents in Cleveland like Cleveland Heights, University Heights, and Beachwood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayDay View Post
As mentioned, Cleveland's Jewish community is primarily in the eastern suburbs - the Orthodox community is primarily in the inner ring (Cleveland Heights and Shaker Heights); the further east you go, the more the population skews to Reform/secular.
The last time I looked - and I've spent a lot of time in Cleveland - Shaker Heights and western/southern Cleveland Heights don't have a lot of Orthodox Jews, though they have quite a few secular/liberal and wealthy Jews. It's eastern Cleveland Heights (esp. in the S. Taylor area between Cedar and Mayfield), as well as - more recently - eastern University Heights (east of Warrensville Center) and northwestern Beachwood (esp. north of Fairmount and west of Richmond), that have high concentrations of Orthodox Jews. There are somewhat fewer Orthodox Jews in between those two areas - in other words, western University Heights (west of Warrensville Center) plus S. Euclid south of Mayfield. But it is true that the rest of Beachwood, and certainly Pepper Pike, Orange, Moreland Hills, Solon, and other far eastern suburbs, all have lots of secular and wealthy Jews.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHiRO View Post
Interesting that Oslo, Copenhagen, Stockholm, and Gothenburg all don't show up on the map while Helsinki (among Nordic cities) does. Last I looked, Copenhagen and Stockholm both have much larger communities than Helsinki. I'm not talking tens or hundreds of thousands, but as far as I believe, Copenhagen and Stockholm both have several thousand Jews.

Moreover, Brussels is also not mentioned in the map, and yet it has a Jewish population about equal to that of Antwerp, though it's a completely different kind of community (much more secularized).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
These days Jewish Ottawans are quite spread out although it seems there is a small concentration in the inner suburb of Nepean to the west of Ottawa. There are synagogues and community centres in that general area.
You forgot another area of diffuse Jewish concentration in Ottawa - the Alta Vista area. That, too, has a substantial number of synagogues.

Quote:
The Jewish community of Montreal is the 2nd largest in Canada and has about 120,000 members.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
100K strong in Montreal, and source of many of the city's most iconic foods.
Montreal Jewry currently numbers 85-90,000, if you go according to the latest Census and Jewish communal figures. Back in the early 1970s, there were indeed 120,000 Jews in Montreal, and as recently as the early 1990s, there were still 100,000. Take my word for it, as I'm a Modern Orthodox Jew living in Montreal. (By the way, I'm brand new to this forum.)

Quote:
I don't know if it is true but these areas are said to have the largest concentration of Holocaust survivors in the world outside of Israel.
First of all, I don't think that for Montreal, it's specifically and only Cote St. Luc/Hampstead that has the largest concentration of survivors outside Israel, though that area does have a lot of survivors. And when you say "concentration", do you mean percentage-wise among the total Jewish population, or do you mean in terms of absolute numbers? If the latter, Montreal does have the highest number of survivors outside Israel and New York. If the former, then somewhere like Melbourne, Australia, might have an even higher percentage of survivors among the total Jewish population than Montreal.

Last edited by Yofie; Oct 16, 2016 at 5:13 PM.