View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 2, 2018, 3:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Which is exactly what MSG is, and stands in the way of getting anything done. This is not the use of eminent domain to tear up blocks of homes of private citizens. Penn Station is vital to New York, and if it comes to eminent domain to get things done, then that's what you do. I don't see a slippery slope here. In fact, Cuomo's proposed district is pretty small in scope. The block south of MSG is a virtually barren wasteland of parking lots.

There is only one building there I would even consider saving, provided it was cleaned up. To me it's a piece of the original Penn Station, something I never got to see. Every time I walk by it, I imagine it as a slice of that great station.
Speaking of the block between 7th and 8th south of penn, as tonyNYC mentions the church there is quaint..

However,

If Gateway ever comes to full fruition then that whole block is getting razed not just for new office space but as new terminal tracks below ground for penn station. It's supposed to continue across 7th as well taking out a pair of nice pre-wars.

It'd be nicer if they aligned the tracks closer to ninth avenue instead, (Or north of penn as I mentioned before)

While this forum is generally concerned with new skyscrapers, its important to note that fixing penn is the primary goal for this rezoning, (And the justification for the state's involvement), and so far the state's been pushing full steam ahead with picturing that block south of penn as part of the future station.

There's a lot that needs to be done cosmetically to fix penn, but functionally it needs more platforms. (Or run through trains but thats for rethinkNYC to push)