View Single Post
Old Posted May 15, 2023, 2:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocman View Post
NY Fashion week has been in trouble for a while. And a lot of that has to do with the lack of anchor labels to maintain its prestige. When the biggest NY brands show up at Ross and TJ Maxx, and you see it on t-shirts, they can’t get that reputation back from overlicensing the brand. Every one of those designers with the exception of Vera Wang (I think), fell into that trap. Of those, Lauren and Klein are really the only ones that maintain some part of their original cache today despite that. And RL decamped his show to LA this year, skipping NY fashion week altogether. Not that it’s specifically American thing. I remember Yves Saint Laurent and Gucci once did that too, pre-Tom Ford. NY is on the fashion calendar, but Paris and Milan really are the only two that matter today. Maybe London for menswear. America just isn’t really a player anymore in high fashion. It experienced a “moment” in the 80s/90s with those labels you just mentioned. But I can’t recall many American-based fashion label that has really hit it big since then on that level. I can think of Tom Ford.
This is starting to sound absurd lol. There pretty much is no other notable fashion week in the United States besides New York's.