View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 28, 2018, 6:38 PM
Me?!?

I think that this is a fascinating and very important topic because as the earth gets hotter we will use more AC and then that makes it hotter so then we need more AC, viscous cycle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarn View Post
In places like the eastern US there is also really high humidity and dew points in the summer which ACs play a critical role reducing indoors. Unfortunately they may be a necessary evil. I think the goal should be make them more efficient / cleaner rather reducing their prevalence.
My feelings also and we need to explore this for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
While air conditioning is certainly nice, I don't understand why people set the temperatures so low. It doesn't need to be fucking freezing to be comfortable.
Very true. The body adjusts and people get so used to the colder air. I can take a lot of extremes either way and adjust but after one of my highest electric bills ever due to AC (and I am very mindful of it also so I could only imagine how bad it would have been if I wasn't) I bumped my thermostat up two more degrees and soon I didn't even notice...using a fan helps a lot also.

We have always had to deal with brutal heat and humidity in the summer in my part of the country but this is something else, and the heat waves last for so long now too. When I was a kid you would get a few days and then it would break, now it can last for a week+. Also, seeing 90F+ over and over then was a big deal and now it is very common and heat indexes well into the 100s is regular.