View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
Scripps is there too and tons of defense stuff (probably at least partly why Qualcomm is there...).

UChicago is a bit funny because we don't really have an engineering program (other than the new-fangled Institute for Molecular Engineering), though there is a CS program (which I imagine is highly theoretical, although I don't really know). It's probably one of the reasons there are so many physics undergrads at UChicago, since none of them get siphoned of to ME or EE like they did at Stanford.
CS is often times not part of engineering school because CS in general is majorly math (discrete) based. There is a reason why there is Computer Science and then there is Software Engineering. Though they can be used in conjunction, they're different things. All CS graduate programs (and a good 50%+ of the undergrad) are going to be highly theoretical anywhere you go. One of the main reasons I did not pursue my PhD in CS was this reason - I am terrible at proofs. Depending on which algorithm you're proving, sometimes the lines are really blurred between CS and math.

Regarding lab space, is there any more plans for Lincoln Yards to add more space than just this one building? Seems from everything I've read and some things being built that there's really a bit of demand in the city for this type of space.