View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 24, 2009, 10:21 PM
Deerhoof Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doady View Post
The obsession with legacy design in virtually all cameras today is just hilarious. Here, not only do we see the lack of viewfinder/rangefinder and built-in flash, but we also see the lack of an articulating LCD screen, simply to accommodate retro styling. At least we can be glad that it doesn't have a fake pentaprism hump, like Panasonic's ridiculous Micro Four Thirds offerings. What should be a radical and fascinating new direction for photography turns out to be just the same old, same old. But still, Olympus and Panasonic are doing far better job pushing digital photography forward than either Canon and Nikon, but it is not enough. I will stick to my "point-and-shoot" camera for now, though I am considering getting an SLR as well.
Olympus nixed the viewfinder on the E-P1 to make the thing as small as possible - but this neither explains nor excuses the curious lack of a higher-res articulating LCD, which becomes doubly important with the viewfinder gone IMHO. But I differ with you in actually liking the swinging-60s retro styling.

-----

I hear you on the G1's hump. My guess is that Panasonic put the mock pentaprism on it as a not-so-subliminal inducement to dealers to shelve it with the DSLRs rather than with the P&S cameras. They were playing it very safe with what is otherwise an innovative product.