View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzcat View Post

I believe it is far better to run both lines at high frequency and allow people to transfer at Wilshire. But I concede that Metro has been terrible at designing transfer stations. Still, that's not really a good argument for interlining and reducing effective headway.

If the red line is separated from the purple line and made to continue south on Vermont, then in theory the purple line could be made to split into three branches at Westwood Ave. One would head north to UCLA and the valley, another would turn south to LAX, and a third would continue westward under Wilshire to the VA and a future Santa Monica extension. A fourth route would be a north/south train between the valley and LAX.

What I just described would put 3 trains on the subway between Westwood and Union Station. BART does this with four trains, but there are many problems associated with it during peak hours, and a second transbay tube no doubt would seek to split the four routes between the two tubes.

One tiny operational advantage would be that the physical connection between the Wilshire Subway and the Sepulveda line would be made at some point east of the Westwood station, meaning that station could be skipped, creating a 1-station skip-stop. So what I mean is if you were heading south from UCLA your first purple line station could be Century City. Doing this would of course require flying crossovers from both the north and south and there is no provision for this in the purple line project, which is already under construction and can't be changed at this point.