View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 5, 2009, 3:01 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterranean View Post
The crazy thing is the many people who were/are opposed to the complete streets initiative. Sometimes I feel like Lansing is so backwards and it is that mentality that will ultimately drive the "good" people away from this town. We're incredibly lucky to have people like Ms. Neuner in this city.
I simply haven't noticed that. What was amazing was that someone was able to get thousands of signatures for this, and that it basically passed the council the month that it was proposed to them, and passed by the council without making changes. The progressive community activist that spearheaded this is also most likely to soon be the councilwoman for the fourth ward.

I don't know about you, but what I'm seeing is an increasingly progressive city, which is something not to be expected of such a blue collar, industrial town losing so many people. I've become increasingly impressed by Lansing's people and its leadership, not less impressed. For a town that is neither Grand Rapids nor Ann Arbor, who get a lot of attention, these days, for their progressive citizenry, I think this town is maturing quite well and under the radar.

Every city has their NIMBYs. I actually find that Lansing's are quite a bit less influential/powerful than most.

BTW, here's a recent photo of the demolition of the ginormus North Grand Avenue Parking Expansion over Grand Avenue courtesy of the Lansing EDC:

Man, do I love to see this.

Last edited by LMich; Sep 5, 2009 at 7:46 AM.