View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 17, 2021, 6:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
As much as I understand the issues the airport presents based on people's comments, to me airports are liminal spaces; it's a transitional space, you're in and you're out. Perhaps I personally just don't care about what an airport terminal can offer, but I get the frustrations...that's why I always travel very light (one bag at most), and have to be very sedated right before and during a flight due to high anxiety, so I just don't care about my surroundings..I just wanna get to my destination and back.

The new main terminal will hopefully correct a lot of the issues that people are talking about, as well as changes to T5 and even T1 (as well as connectivity between T1 and the new Global terminal).

Incidentally, has anyone seen the renderings of the new terminal design at JFK? Fuckin WOOF

https://www.archpaper.com/2021/12/ge...ional-airport/
The problem is that once you've been to modern airports, particularly overseas, you realize how much ORD sucks. The lounge game is weak. It's crowded, noisy, the bathrooms are pretty gross, it's not a space that's conducive to relaxation and low stress levels. And good concessions and amenities drive revenue. A pleasant airport will make people want to arrive early and walk around, shop, eat, visit lounges, etc. ORD is outclassed in terms of the passenger experience by basically any other major (say top-30 domestic) airport with the exception of HNL. There should be triple the amount of lounges and restaurants given O'hare's size and a significant retail presence, including premium/luxury. A good airport experience can help extend your leisure vacation and make the road warrior life much more bearable.

-Hunter S. Thompson (click for full quote)