View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 22, 2020, 9:38 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamaorama View Post
Thank you electricron from taking the time to leave such a serious, informed reply. I guess the feasibility of hot swapping battery cars in a train consist is still quite a bit of a ways off then.

Regarding that experimental locomotive from BNSF, I wonder if you could have something like that and then add a pantograph. Not for running under wire for miles, but rather for easy charging. I immediately think of those Proterra electric buses that can connect with an overhead charger.

This wouldn't work for long haul freight but it would work for last-mile branch lines.
Google, or any other search application you prefer, can be your friend.
The BNSF test locomotive will have over 20,000 lithium ion cells in their huge battery bank. To put that into perspective, a 2018 Nissan Leaf battery bank has 192 cells. Let’s just give it 200 just to make the math simpler. Math = 20,000/200 = 100
Yes, the battery in the locomotive will be 100 times larger than the battery in a Leaf. The price for a replacement Leaf battery is around $5,500.
More Math = 100 x $5,500 = $550,000.

Yes, add a cool half million dollars to the price of the locomotive! Well, not really because you could deduct the price for the diesel-electric generator.

But, you would need an even larger and more expensive battery for full long range battery operations. How much more will you be willing to spend?