View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 28, 2021, 10:02 PM
Meh

So, we typically say that the freeways are what killed Detroit, but did they? I mean, I hate freeways just as much as the next freeway hating guy, but neighborhoods can exist with them. The big difference I see in those images is what appears to be a zoning change that might not have been as sustainable as they predicted. Those old neighborhoods were Detroit's heritage and were connective. All a city has is its neighborhoods. That's its culture, its history, and heritage. If anyone believes that industry setting up shop to make money cares about any of that, I would simply show them those two images. Sure, the freeways in Detroit were no good for the city and I cringe every time I see them. Thankfully, Austin dodged that bullet in the 60s when there were plans to dissect the city with them. But I see those companies that swooped in, did their thing and then left when times got hard as being the biggest damage to Detroit. Then they were left with industrial wastelands that separated the heart of the city from the rest of the neighborhoods.

In a way the same thing is happening in Austin with billion dollar tech giants coming here building their factories, except that they aren't building them in the heart of the city. They're on the edge. Apple and Tesla are two that are doing that now. Yeah, sure there are highways out there - some younger than others, but it was all open land that wasn't old neighborhoods in the city. So there's the chance now to even create neighborhoods there that do connect to the city.

This is one development that caught our eye on the forum that could become the next really big thing in Austin.

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...dogs-head.html
DEVELOPERS COMB DOG'S HEAD
Heavy hitters are turning to a huge site near Tesla — but it won't be easy to build on

A satellite view of Dog's Head in far East Austin, which is formed naturally by the Colorado River. To the right of the the dog's snout is the State Highway 130 toll road and the new Tesla gigafactory.

By Kathryn Hardison and Paul Thompson – Austin Business Journal
Apr 27, 2021

The land — tucked between U.S. Highway 183 and State Highway 130 in far East Austin — faces distinct development challenges due to its history as a sand and gravel mining hub. But its proximity to both downtown and Austin-Bergstrom International Airport offers substantial allure. Tesla’s thunderous arrival in the summer of 2020 only added to the intrigue.

Family-owned ranches span about 2,100 acres of the Dog’s Head and exude untapped development potential. A handful of residences are tucked behind overgrown foliage lining dirt roads, and bright orange and pink surveying markers can be spotted in the greenery. Those survey flags are often a sign of development activity.

It’s also hard to miss the various mining operations that leave the area laden with truck activity. The Dog’s Head is still rather quiet, except for the occasional roar from airplanes that fly to and from the nearby airport.

There are some clear ties to Endeavor, though. An entity called Dog’s Head Ltd. applied for a trademark for the phrase “Dog’s Head” in August 2020, according to the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. The application lists the same address as Endeavor’s downtown Austin office. The documents state that Dog's Head Ltd. was created for site selection and development services for residential, retail, restaurant, commercial, civic, sports entertainment and mixed-use projects.

Last edited by KevinFromTexas; Apr 28, 2021 at 10:17 PM.