View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 21, 2022, 3:50 AM

Yeah, I know that. It's the main (only...) factor in the "cons" column. As I might have mentioned already, I am not unfamiliar with hurricanes as I have had a bunch of coastal real estate in FL for 10 years now but all of it was deliberately selected to be as hurricane-proof as possible (and all extremely solidly built). I went through pretty major worry three times so far (Matthew, Irma, Dorian), but so far I never had anything worse than broken tree limbs and shingles taken away from older roofs - which I turned into an opportunity to re-do them with the most hurricane-proof materials.

The sellers of that particular house brag that its very sturdy construction allowed it to survive the 1900 Hurricane as well as Ike in '08 with only minor damage, but I'm not sure at all it would resist a direct Cat 4-5 hit, which is something that could very well could eventually happen one day.