View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 9, 2015, 9:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_brew View Post
i have attended african festival of the arts (for years), as well the bud billiken parade and ended up in repose at 55th/king drive, on the well-kept grass, in fact, the designated proposed land. i have been to mus. sci & industry, the point, the harbor adjacent to la rabida and enjoyed the yacht club nearby.

i am not a resident of the area, but never, never have i encounter what u described above. you undermind your own enjoyment of playing golf in the park,etc. described earlier with these stereotypes.
They keep certain areas of the park clean more than other areas. This is common knowledge among people who frequent the park. The areas that put a face on the park (the areas you mentioned by the way) tend to be cleaner than the other areas. Don't just pass through, spend some real time there... the park is huge... walk all sections of the grounds, you will see.

And just use common sense for a moment. The parks in question are in some of the highest crime, gang infested areas of the city. Do you think that they just call a truce in the park? Of course not... those grounds represent much of what goes on in the neighborhoods surrounding it. And of course that type of activity occurs with less frequency on the quote "face of the park" areas (too many witnesses, etc.) but they definitely occur on park grounds nonetheless. They call no truces on park territory.

As for golf, I still go when I have the time, still very enjoyable... but then again, I used to go into Robert Taylor and Cabrini Green to see my clients too before they tore them down. And now I regularly see clients that live in Englewood, Grand Crossing, etc. My lack of fear should never be a barometer for whether or not a place is safe because I am known to be pretty fearless.

Last edited by SSideAtty; Jan 9, 2015 at 10:47 PM.