View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 18, 2008, 8:04 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

NY1

11/17/2008 10:11 PM

Subway Report Cards Show Some Improvement — For Now

By: Bobby Cuza

Transit officials have begun releasing the results of the latest round of rider report cards – and while the grades show improvement on some lines, that trend isn't likely to last. Transit Reporter Bobby Cuza filed the following story.

It was just over a year ago that the L train began getting special attention from transit officials. Along with the No. 7 line, the L was given a general manager with broad authority to make improvements that included more trains and more cleaners.

And it seems riders have taken notice, bumping the L train from a C to a C+ in the latest rider report cards.

"I was extremely encouraged that we were able to organize and actually move that customer satisfaction needle," NYC Transit President Howard Roberts said Monday.

Riders gave the L higher marks this time in six of the 21 categories they were asked to grade. But the improvements could be short-lived, because later this week transit officials are expected to propose a number of service cuts to take effect next summer in order to help bridge a massive budget deficit.

The news isn't sitting well with riders NY1 spoke with.

"I think cutting service is a terrible idea," one said.

"I think people would be really, really angry," said another. "And New Yorkers don't need any reason to be angrier than they already are."

As for the No. 7 line, despite recent improvements, riders gave that line mixed reviews. It rated higher than last year in some categories but lower on others, and its overall grade of a C was unchanged.

There were also far fewer responses to this year's survey – just over 4,000 compared to nearly 16,000 last year. On the other hand, one rider advocate warned the results may be skewed by the fact unhappy riders are more likely to respond.

"You just have to take it with a grain of salt," said Andrew Albert of the NYC Transit Riders Council. "New Yorkers are skeptical and they want things perfect, and if they're not perfect you're not going to get a really great grade."

The second round of rider report cards is ongoing. So far surveys have been handed out at about half the lines throughout the system, and will be distributed this week at stations along the B and E trains.

Copyright © 2008 NY1 News. All rights reserved.