View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 5, 2022, 12:12 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
Insanity. I was just back in Austin a few weeks ago and it’s changed so insanely much. I grew up in Texas and nearly all of my family now lives the Austin/San Antonio metro region. I remember visiting my mammaw in Spicewood (wherein she still lives and was raised in and my moms side of the family has owned since the 1880s ((used to be 6000 acres, now it’s around 600)) and I’ll hopefully inherit some of it unless my parents decide to sell it and it turns into generic schlock suburbia that the whole hill country around Austin and San Antonio is turning into unfortunately) and going to downtown Austin in the 90s and it was just a couple of basically mid rise skyscrapers and the Capitol building and vacant lots. Basically my experience of Austin was how the “Slackers” movie portrays Austin; great film by the way. I was glad to see on my last visit in June that 6th street is still basically the same. Rainey Street is just nuts. I remember riding my bike down Rainey St about 12 years ago and there was not much there, just a lot of dilapidated 1920s houses. Was glad to see that the remaining bungalows have been rehabbed. I just hope that the remaining historic houses aren’t demoed. What a cool street that will be with a super tall right down the block and then 1910s and 20s houses surrounded by skyscrapers. I hope the remaining Rainey Street houses will be preserved. I know they aren’t Austin landmarks and therefor not protected. They are in a national register of historic places district but the national register of historic places does little to nothing when it comes to protecting historic buildings from demolition.
Please don't publicly complain about the hardship of possibly inheriting 600 acres plus huge assets instead of 6,000 acres. I mean... really.