View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 29, 2021, 7:29 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_ View Post
https://www.inquirer.com/real-estate...-20210129.html

An interesting tidbit:

"Scioli Turco has used Act 135 to clean up dozens of neglected buildings around the city, including the asbestos-ridden, former steam plant a few blocks east of the viaduct, at Ninth and Willow Streets. In that case, Scioli Turco acted as a kind of overseer to ensure that the building’s owner, developer John Wei, carried out an approved remediation plan. The work was completed last year, and Wei told the court he now plans to convert the longtime eyesore into apartments."

How did I miss that the Willow Steam plant was turning into apartments? As a kid I'd always stare out the window on 676 at it in amazement. Later on I'd always associate it with trips to the Electric Factory. It's good to hear it will be saved because it's so iconic. I always dreamed of a Baltimore Powerpoint Live type setup with it.
From the article...

“Attempts to get the city to hold Reading accountable have gone nowhere...”

“During former Mayor Michael Nutter’s administration, city officials flew to Los Angeles to meet Reading executives to try to open discussions about transferring the viaduct into public control...”

Shows how useless the city is and how we've fallen since Nutter.

Anyways, I hope this works out! Could be a treasure like The High Line in NYC.