View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 25, 2021, 3:08 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
Other than to perhaps Gurnee on the MD-N line I do not think there is much of a need for any extensions to Metra. The lines are plenty long enough. In fact if you are going to price accordingly based on zone fare than those outer regions will become cost prohibitive to any tranist commuter. They are already arguably becomign so under Metra's fare structure.

What Metra/Chicago could better use is more intergrated fares with CTA, faster trains, cleaner trains, more modern trains, denser suburban stations, and quicker headways along the current lines.
I would argue for a DeKalb extension to serve NIU. Kankakee is also worth doing but I'm not sure how you can do it cost-effectively unless Metra can buy some dual-mode locomotives and high-platform railcars that can switch onto diesel territory south of University Park.

It's looking like the Rockford line will be Metra as well (instead of Amtrak). I'm agnostic on which agency runs the service but I think it should be done to serve the state's largest city outside of Chicagoland. Having it be Metra just means less rail congestion on MD-W since you're extending existing Metra runs instead of trying to pump additional Amtrak trains through.

All 3 of these extensions would go outside of Metra's 6-county service area so they would require some special deals to happen (purchase of service, etc). I doubt Kankakee, DeKalb or Winnebago/Boone want to join RTA and pay the full sales tax.

Last edited by ardecila; Oct 25, 2021 at 3:20 PM.