View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 9, 2009, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilbride102 View Post
I think that people overrate the "green movement" and youth "eager to utilize public transit". Once people start to get older and make more money these things will fall by the wayside. They will want bigger cars or god-forbid SUVs to take the kids to soccer practice or dance class. Will they want their kids to play in streets or in "safer suburban playgrounds"? When kids and family come into play, priorities change. Also they will realize just how much money is taken out of their paychecks in taxes and just how little they get in return. Will the idealism of late teens and early twenties continue when the realism of late twenties and thirties smacks them in the face? We will see.

I don't think people will care much about "green", but I do think that the social isolation the suburbs give off will not be seen as a positive as it was in the past. Manhattan is going through a massive upper-class baby boom and I don't think this is simply a short term anaminoly(sp).

The central part of cities (Inner Paris, Central London, Manhattan, The Loop, Westside LA, DC, Center City, etc...) will become hubs for upper-class parents who could possibly take back the school system. Philadelphia is trying to radiate out the CC gentry zone into the River Wards, West and South. I think this will continue to grow, but the current inhabitants will only push into more outer nabes (Like NW and NE), cuasing them to go into decline.

So I do think urban living will have more appeal, but the subrubs aren't going anywhere either. Those parents with money for private schools will move into the city, but the middle-working class will continue to pine for the outer reaches of Bucks and Chester Cos.