View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 9:06 PM
IWant2BeInSTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch City View Post
Perhaps I should clarify some things.

I think if developers are now building these large apartment complexes (like 4545 Laclede, 200 units) and others throughout the city, which usually have large footprints, they could at least (and should) go more vertical in some areas.

There's no need for "a bunch of new skyscrapers", but more than a few would great.

Why keep building these big bulky complexes in areas like the CWE and Midtown when it's obvious demand for land is increasing and property values are rising as a result? Build vertically.

There'd be more land to play with in those highly desired areas and more money to be made by property owners.

With that said, I do realize that variables/factors come into play- like cost per unit to build, population growth, area of town, deep pocket investors etc.,

But St. Louis - historically - has been adverse to height and it's time to grow up.

To be fair, it's happening some but there is still room for more daring vertical development in St Louis, in my opinion.
if it were cheaper for developers to build tall rather than wide i'm guessing they would. unfortunately there's still a ton of empty space that lends itself to large footprints and the land is relatively cheap so it just doesn't make financial sense for them to build tall in most parts of the city. i wouldn't mind seeing a few more high rise projects in the denser nodes (DT, CWE, Clayton, maybe Midtown) but i'm totally fine with mostly 3-6 story infill all over the place. the CWE and Clayton seem the most likely candidates for high rise projects. DT still has large buildings in need of rehab and not much demand for office. if St. Louis were in Canada it would probably have a skyline rivaling Montreal's but, alas, the US is a suburban wasteland and St. Louis jumped on the sprawl wagon a long time ago.