View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuriandrade View Post
But why is that? There are plenty of tackless wealthier people in Brazil, but on the other hand it seems there are a higher share of good designs.

Don't American architects manage to influence their clients in greater numbers, making them buying better products?
Well, style is subjective. I agree this is horrible, but lots of people like it.

There's probably also a cultural difference. My wife is from a moderately affluent Mexican family, and everyone in the Mexican upper class prefers modernist homes and interiors. I think wealthy Latin Americans generally like modern-style homes, and wealthy Americans generally like fake Italian villa-style homes.

Of course, there are exceptions. The Hamptons and West LA are heavily modernist. Wealthy urban neighborhoods usually have attractively designed homes. Some of the more affluent metros like NY, LA, SF have better design, and Miami is heavily modernist (probably due to Latin influence).

And old money WASP types generally hate the tacky look. Places like Coastal Connecticut, Westchester County, NY and North Shore of Chicago have little tacky design.