View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 1, 2020, 5:30 PM
somewhere in-between

It seems so silly to me that there are so many online outlets for the exact same topics of discussion. I mean, I get it... different forums evolving over time at different places... user options... competition... etc. It would make so much more sense (to me) to just have everyone who is passionate about things talking about them in the same place. Let's just shut this one down and all migrate over to SSC, with its more current user interface...or to the MI sub-reddit, with all of its activity... anyone...?

Lately, I am in the habit of triple-posting everything (at least for Kalamazoo, Grand Rapids, & West Michigan developments) - on here, on Skyscrapercity, and on Urban Planet. This won't keep up forever. It is just a bit of an experiment I've been trying, in order to evaluate platforms and response / interest. The truth is, the inactivity on all three is equally pervasive, with the exception of the GR forumers on UP, who are quite active. SSC & UP are both far-more user friendly. I think I like SSC's interface the most. This forum's growth will forever be stunted unless it updates its interface too, in my opinion.

But it turns out that despite this, I'm still interested in sharing updates here, even it it feels I'm like shouting into a vacuum 99.9% of the time. That's my choice. This is where I started 12 years ago (when I was just out of High School, btw). I'm actually much more interested in updates in smaller cities like Kalamazoo, or Benton Harbor, or Holland, Muskegon, the list goes on... primarily because these are the places I live in and around, and particularly because no else DOES provide updates on them. Big cities have plenty of coverage and enthusiasts, and it's fun to check-in on the mega-projects from time-to-time. But it is usually far too overwhelming for me, because I like to dive deeper into lesser-known places and projects.

Anyway, I am verging off topic. I know that the name of this Forum is "Skyscraperpage." It's kind of a dumb name, really, when you think about it. But I am not surprised when non-skyscraper discussion is weak at best here. And since skyscraper news in Michigan, especially the west side, is practically nil, I may just need to remain content in my low-rise bubble, until I fade away, like so many other forumers before me.