View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 7:13 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcp View Post
@ardecila ...I'd argue that chicago has created the ability for new midrise neighborhoods with the TOD zoning. that enables 12 stories (see division and ashland) with low parking...get enough of that within 1/4 of transit stations and we get a string of pearls.

that said...totally agree that the spread of 'middle ground' (not highrise, not SFH or even 3 flat) zoning is needed...as the downtown footprint expands, so should the footprint of midrise / TOD zoning expand into the neighborhood edges
Not really, TOD zoning only applies along commercial corridors outside of downtown. Residential blocks are still sacrosanct, which means even TOD zoning can only theoretically increase the overall density of a neighborhood by 15-20%. Plus, that's offset against the deconversion phenomenon in places like Lakeview, Wicker, Logan so it's debatable whether we get much of a density increase at all.

TOD zoning is really only enough for a neighborhood to hold its ground, population-wise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumdogmillionaire View Post
That ship has sailed. You can really only hope to slow this growth and development towards this neighborhood having an average height of 200-300 feet for buildings. We should take the good designs when we get them I say.
I'm not following you. Where is there a building taller than 200' in the West Loop, excluding the boundary areas along Halsted and south of Van Buren? Even the H2O development tops out at 180' to the roofline - admittedly this stretches the definition of midrise and it's a hair taller than I'd prefer for this area, but still a tiny fraction of the 900 W Randolph behemoth.

Last edited by ardecila; Jan 31, 2018 at 7:24 PM.