View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 4:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kngkyle View Post
It's insane just how many projects Related has their hands on in Chicago. They must be by-far the biggest developer in the city over the past decade and with what they have in the pipeline I don't see that changing for the next decade.
Nope, Magellan by a long shot (and thank god, their work is far better). Magellan did Coast, Hojo Tower, Gino's Tower, WPW, WPE, Vista, and I think a few others since the recession. That's not to mention all the other towers in LSE they built before the crash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I still think this doesn’t belong here. The podium is admittedly well-designed, with an attractive facade and no parking visible (looks like a bit of office space as a liner).

However, I think it’s too important for Chicago to have a bonafide midrise neighborhood, with 2-4 story buildings mixed in. The city even put in the planning effort to make that happen. For various reasons, we’re unlikely to build this kind of environment anywhere else for the foreseeable future... Dearborn Park forced the South Loop into a total highrise development pattern, and River North/Streeterville are already full of highrises. Industrial areas along the river could be developed as midrise, but those areas have large lots and a very flawed street grid so they’ll never develop the same urban patterns.

What they should do is move this one to the Randolph/Halsted site behind Haymarket, as a proper architectural beacon for the main “entrance” of West Loop.
Screw that, let the market turn this into another River North. We already got a huge crop of midrises here, let's infill with even more density. We can build Midrises all the way to Oak Park in the shell of Garfield Park and Austin. I think crushing density is totally appropriate for the Lake Street corridor. This area is becoming more Loop like by the day. The "vendor village" over by McDonalds HQ is already going to be like 200'+ and that's halfway done. The other H2O site and Bridgeford food site are also 20 story plus buildings. This area is going UP and that's the way it should go. IF Chicago lands Amazon, Google, and/or Apple or any other major corporate relocations (even from our own suburbs) we are going to need the space.