View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 2:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I still think this doesn’t belong here. The podium is admittedly well-designed, with an attractive facade and no parking visible (looks like a bit of office space as a liner).

However, I think it’s too important for Chicago to have a bonafide midrise neighborhood, with 2-4 story buildings mixed in. The city even put in the planning effort to make that happen. For various reasons, we’re unlikely to build this kind of environment anywhere else for the foreseeable future... Dearborn Park forced the South Loop into a total highrise development pattern, and River North/Streeterville are already full of highrises. Industrial areas along the river could be developed as midrise, but those areas have large lots and a very flawed street grid so they’ll never develop the same urban patterns.

What they should do is move this one to the Randolph/Halsted site behind Haymarket, as a proper architectural beacon for the main “entrance” of West Loop.
I agree for the most part. Chicago definitely needs a midrise neighborhood. What's happening in the West Loop is exciting to watch and is nothing like any other part of the city. That said, I think it's inevitable that more height finds its way into the West Loop.

I do think there are real opportunities along the river. It's close enough to downtown to warrant higher densities, but far enough from the core and lake (you're not getting lake views here unless you're talking 500+ ft, not happening) to discourage any serious height proposals. I don't think the street grid will be a hindrance. If anything it would make for a more interesting neighborhood IMO. The streets along both the north and south branch are mostly connected to the larger grid, although there are some quirks. The biggest obstacle for the areas along the river is transit. Funny enough, the south branch seems better equipped for transit improvements than the north branch. I wouldn't be surprised if someone high up at Sterling Bay was in Rahm's ear pushing for CTA service (minimally a bus, preferably below grade rail) along Clybourn.