View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 26, 2008, 7:13 PM
Go Beavs! Go Niners!

I may have posted this already somewhere in this thread but i'm posting it again because this proposal is near the Kaka'ako Redevelopment Plan posted above. I'd love to see both projects realized but i'm sure it will meet a lot of resistance and well financing is a problem these days.

Sources: Honolulu Advertiser, Star Bulletin and Ward Neighborhood

Ward Neighborhood envisioned as ‘urban village’
Owner General Growth unveils a 20-year plan for the 60-acre area

-Includes 4,000 residential units

Pedestrian Mall

The Ward area of Kakaako would get a major makeover starting in about three years under tentative plans unveiled yesterday by General Growth Properties, which owns 60 acres in the district. Plans call for pedestrian-friendly plazas oriented mauka to makai, more housing and more retail and dining options.

Possible future skyline of the area.

The skyscrapers in colour

Ward makeover
General Growth Properties has unveiled tentative plans to redevelop its 60-acre holdings in the Ward area of Kakaako over the next 20 years, including:

» Creation of a 3.25-acre central plaza, stretching mauka to makai through the current Farmers Market and part of Ward Warehouse.
» Auahi Street would become a main boulevard lined with trees, open seating areas, outdoor art.
» Two additional public plazas, along Ward Avenue and Kamakee Street.
» More housing, ranging from affordable to upscale.
» Underground utilities, lush landscaping, lampposts and benches.
» 100-plus more businesses.
» A variety of transportation options, including a transit station on Queen Street and bike paths.

Map of area - The development looks to be on the property where Marukai and the Fish Market, etc are located. Now, a proposal to redevelop this chunk of land has been mentioned nearly 8 1/2 years ago but there were never any real details until earlier this year.

For more information about the proposal and pdf files go here >> Ward Neighborhood <<

Any thoughts?