View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 3:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
One aspect I wasn’t aware of (though I’m guessing it’s always been part of the plan) is the construction of temporary stations. That way Lawrence, Argyle, Berwyn, and Bryn Mawr can all be completely closed and rebuilt while major construction on the viaduct is underway. I just assumed they’d close Lawrence & Berwyn at the same time, forcing riders who use those stations to head north or south to the next station. Same for Argyle & Bryn Mawr. Since they’re constructing temporary stations, I’m wondering whether the entrances will be on the same streets as the current stations? Or perhaps a block further north or south since the mid point of 3 of those 4 stations is directly above the street they serve (excluding Berwyn where most of the platform is south of the street) and therefore a temporary station would need to be constructed above a different street to avoid overlap with the old station during reconstruction?

I’m looking forward to this overall project as I think the benefits are definitely worth it, though I’m most fearful the flyover will be a hulking concrete behemoth resembling a freeway overpass. I have near zero faith the CTA will succeed in creating something lighter/less over powering. Hopefully my concern is misplaced.
According to the EA, the first phase (18 mos) will have Lawrence and Berwyn closed, with Bryn Mawr and Argyle open. The second phase (18-24 mos) will have Bryn Mawr open southbound only and a temporary Foster-Winona station.