View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 26, 2022, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
Just a note but HFR is not planned to run through Kingston, but rather Peterborough. Half the point of the project is to pull trains off the congested lakeshore rail corridor which is full of freight trains. Trains will reconnect with the existing line in Smith Falls outside of Ottawa.

So smaller cities like Oshawa, Cornwall, and Kingston won’t be serviced. Stops will basically be Toronto - Peterborough - Ottawa - Montreal - Troi Rivières - Quebec.
If the smaller cities like Oshawa, Belleville, Kingston, and Cornwall won't be served by Canada's HSR plans, I don't know how the HSR route will actually be successful! I'm also not sure if the much smaller cities of Peterborough, Smith Falls, Fallowfield, and Alexandria will actually support the HSR going through their towns.

I still like the fact that Canada is actually talking and making plans to actually supporting HSR, but I still don't support the alignment to smaller towns when the bigger, mid size cities can actually support HSR service. Mid size cities in the NE Corridor such as New Haven, Metropark (Edison Township), Trenton, & Wilmington are just as dynamic in supporting HSR like their big city counterparts than placing HSR in smaller towns like Peterborough, Smith Falls, Fallowfield, and Alexandria due to their relative bigger sizes in comparison to to towns. It almost sounds like the Springfield monorail from the Simpsons.

I also believe the cons about the HSR will be construction noise as well as ongoing traffic, detours within the towns associated with the project, the train noise that comes with HSR as well as the rising costs of materials. If the Trudeau administration is able to pull this off, more power to him, but from my personal opinion, I don't see this plan taking off as it is due to the fact that it bypasses a lot of the mid size cities as well as the relative lower speed of 120 mph as opposed to 150 mph introduced with the Avella Liberty in the US. Doesn't even matter your political ideology, I don't really see too many politicians supporting it and it's more than just cost alone!