View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 28, 2022, 11:03 PM
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
Cap of SAS should have been more central Saskatoon, where Diefenbaker came from I recall. Greener and more watered than almost semiarid Regina. Drive out of Reggie and it is short grass prarie, usually dried and yellow.
Dief came from Prince Albert, but went to law school in Saskatoon and spent the final part of his career here as the chancellor of the University of Saskatchewan.

I actually prefer Saskatoon's character as the university town and private sector hub. If Saskatoon had been designated capital the university almost certainly would have gone somewhere else (Moose Jaw?), making the local character quite a bit different. It's an interesting thought experiment though -- what if you replaced the University of Saskatchewan with the Saskatchewan Legislature?

If the University and Legislature had been located in the same city, Saskatchewan would have wound up with one Winnipeg-like primate city. Having two smaller cities has its pros and cons, but on balance I'm glad that the population has halfway decent distribution in different areas of the province.

You are right about Regina's climate, though Saskatoon isn't exactly lush, even if it has more natural tree cover (and a healthy urban canopy).