View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 2, 2021, 12:50 PM

S-Line, rapid transit and more: A deeper look into Utah's 'historic' transit infrastructure funding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makid View Post

https://www.ksl.com/article/50123299...ucture-funding

SALT LAKE CITY — A plan to extend S-Line streetcar and funding for a new "mid-valley" Salt Lake County rapid transit bus system were just some of the projects approved under a bill that included over $1 billion in state spending to accelerate transportation and other infrastructure projects across the state.

HB433 cleared the Utah Legislature on it's second-to-last day. It authorized $264 million in bonds for "specified transportation and transit projects." It also appropriated about $834.6 million in one-time spending from state revenue sources.

Sen. Kirk Cullimore, who served as the floor sponsor of the bill, explained before the legislation passed that it was meant to speed up "a lot of projects on the transportation commission list" and address other priority projects in Utah.

[Quote:]

The UTA project that garnered the most attention was one that would double-track Utah Transit Authority's FrontRunner lines. About $300 million in either bonds issued or one-time spending grants were offered toward that project; however, several other UTA projects would receive funds through the bill.

Here's a deeper look at what the money would go toward.

FrontRunner spending: Double-tracking, Vineyard Station and more

Most of the $264 million in bonds in the bill, about $232 million in total, are to go toward the Utah Transit Authority for a handful of projects but mainly improvements toward FrontRunner.

The bill's most notable spending went toward the double-tracking FrontRunner. The project would allow for more frequent trains and faster transportation between Ogden and Provo. An additional $100 million in one-time spending was also set aside for the project.

Carolyn Gonot, UTA's executive director, said during Wednesday's UTA board meeting that the agency would also seek a federal grant to help with the project.
[/QUOTE]

...It also means UTA could increase the frequency of trains on the rails, the number of people on FrontRunner and the speed between stops just by adding a second track alongside the current route. The project wouldn't double track the remaining three-fourths of the route but would offer "strategic" double-tracking to speed up the current system.

Ranu said that would make it a "more desirable system" and make it an easier option for people who don't want to commute on freeways to work along the Wasatch Front.

"It's really about providing choice for how people want to move in our region," he said.

Construction on FrontRunner double-tracking is currently anticipated to begin as early as 2023, he said.
[/QUOTE]

S-Line extension: Taking "a step" closer to Highland Drive

Another $12 million from the bond would go toward an S-Line expansion in Salt Lake City from its eastern terminus closer to Highland Drive, which means it will be closer to the Sugar House business and residential hub.

The S-Line, which launched in 2013, currently runs between Central Pointe Station (221 W. 2100 South in South Salt Lake) to Fairmont Station, which is located at 1040 E. 2200 South in Salt Lake City. UTA completed some double-tracking on the line in 2019 that allowed the street car service to run every 15 minutes.
[/QUOTE]

Midvalley Connector

Another $11 million in the bond would go toward UTA's "Midvalley Connector" rapid bus transit system project for areas in Salt Lake County. Gonot said that the project also received about $22 million from the state legislature last year.

"Those two combined will actually allow us to leverage another $50 to $60 million from the federal to really make this a high-quality (bus rapid transit) as well," she said.

Update - On The S-Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedikermit View Post
No details of course, because I'm just me. Just wanted to say that I accidentally went on a walk through this neighborhood along the S-Line, from about 700 East to 1100 East, and it was completely delightful. Like...I would love to live there. I still don't know how useful the S-Line is currently, but over time that corridor has developed into a great amenity. If you haven't been in that part of town for a few years, it's a great place to check out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by berger4 View Post
Yes, I live at 2200ish south and Windsor(840 east), I walk the S-Line everyday into Fairmont park as well, both are such amazing amenities. The neighborhood has really transformed since I moved here 6 years ago!

Also of note, the Snelgrove building is now being demolished and they are making quick progress...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah_Amazing View Post
https://citizenportal.slcgov.com/Cit...howInspection=

The Lotus Republic - Sugarhouse project has filed a Commercial Building Permit.

I never saw this go through Planning, so this caught me off guard. Does anyone else know any details?

Address: 717 E Simpson

Project Description:

The Lotus Company website has an image but no details.
https://lotuscompany.com/property_ve...98992919921875