View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 31, 2019, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Investing In Chicago View Post

If it was up to me, i'd move back to NYC, but at the end of the day Family is more important that being able to build to my lot line.
I am NOT completely ignoring it. I don't really care if your property has gone up in value. I certainly don't care that you've chosen to live in an expensive home with high taxes instead of a less expensive home with lower taxes. And I care even less that you prefer New York City.

But I don't know why you think that living in New York is going to save you taxes. The city income tax rate there would probably cost you $30,000 a year. And if you want to buy a nice Victorian there in a pleasant neighborhood where you can walk to Michelin starred restaurants and neighborhood theater, your taxes are going to be more than $50,000 a year.

You didn't ask, but personally, the reason I don't live in New York or London or Frankfurt is because I find the quality of life to simply be better in Chicago than it is there. If I had kids I'd have no problem sending them to local public schools, which are better than the average U.S. public school, though this of course depends on the neighborhood. And I also would have no financial problem retreating to a lakefront home in suburban Minneapolis, but I'd rather quit my job and be a bartender someplace with character and people, instead of retreating to something akin to a fortress behind a moat. Now, that's a choice that everyone is free to make for themselves. You, however, are posting on skyscraperpage. Look inward.