View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 9, 2023, 2:57 AM

History of Gulf Building Observation Deck

From what I understand, the Gulf Building had an observation deck open to the public on the 37th floor from when the building was opened in 1929 presumably until the Humble Building was constructed in 1963. I have read that the observation deck had an aeronautical beacon and a telescope and one could see Galveston from the telescope on a clear day. I also found that tickets to go to the observation deck were 25 cents in 1930. It made sense to have an observation deck on the top floor as the Gulf Building was the tallest building west of the Mississippi for 2 years and the tallest in Houston until 1963. I have not been able to find any pictures of the observation deck or the view from there back when it was open to the public online. Also, I have not found any information online on when the observation deck was closed to the public. However, I assume it may have been in 1963 when a higher observation deck in the Humble Building opened and took away the business. So, does anyone here know when the observation deck of the Gulf Building was closed to the public and does anyone have any pictures of the observation deck and the view from there back when it was open to the public.