View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 7, 2023, 4:29 AM
你的媽媽

^

First of all, it's a common misconception that the West side is consistently shrouded in fog. Now certainly, it's more foggy than the Eastern part of SF, but actually it's not as bad as people think. Especially the Richmond. The Sunset is where it most of the fog settles, but it usually burns off by afternoon. And there's actually quite a few seasons (fall, winter, spring) where it's not really foggy at all.

Secondly, getting back to the main topic, I don't think they're saying to develop the West side only. There are already plenty of plans in place to develop other parts of SF (Central SoMa, the Hub, Dogpatch, Potrero Hill, etc). I think what they're implying is that historically the West side doesn't proportionately contribute its share of additional housing as compared to other already dense parts of the City.

While I agree that public transportation to the West side needs tons of investment and improvements, namely along Geary, it still remains an area with quite a few commercial corridors that can easily handle upzoning and densification. Bars, restaurants, coffee shops, bakeries, parks, schools, walk scores in the 90s. The bones are all there. Housing just needs to be built across the board, not just in SoMa only.