View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 11, 2011, 6:40 PM
Detroiter4life

Concerns surround Fuller Road transit center as project moves to Ann Arbor City Council for approval
By Ryan J Stanton
January 11, 2011
Ann Arbor.com

The proposed Fuller Road Station Phase I project, shown here, includes a parking structure with accommodations for bicycles and buses.

Quote:
A proposal to build a new transit center along Fuller Road was met with some resistance Monday night during a special work session of the Ann Arbor City Council.

While some council members, including Mayor John Hieftje, appear to be in full support of the $43 million Phase I project, it's evident some still need convincing — including Mike Anglin, D-5th Ward, and Stephen Kunselman, D-3rd Ward.

"It seems to me that we're moving ahead on something that may not be of service to the community," Anglin said. "I'm not interested in providing parking for the university."

The city's long-term vision for the area south side of Fuller Road — just east of East Medical Center Drive and in front of the University of Michigan medical campus — includes an intermodal transit facility with accommodations for trains, bicycles, buses and pedestrians.

But a new train station isn't expected to happen until future phases. The first phase of Fuller Road Station, which the council is being asked to approve now, includes a five-level, 977-space parking structure with five built-in bus bays and 103 bicycle parking spaces.
http://www.annarbor.com/news/concern...-for-approval/