View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 20, 2022, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF View Post
My list of preferred locations for each facility based off of existing conditions of the site, ability to accommodate the facility of its size, and potential to "catalyze" development or complement existing uses

Arena:
1) 1800 Block of Rose or 1800 Block of Broad
2) The Yards

Library:
1) Existing site but incorporating the existing building into the design (or at the very least, maintaining the northeast corner/façade of the building)

Aquatics centre:
1) Next to the Lawson, incorporating the Lawson into the design (if financially feasible and if there is an expected programming need for the old and the new)

Ballpark:
1) REAL grounds west of Confederation park, and seating oriented to allow views opening up towards the downtown
2) If the City has landholdings elsewhere in the interior of the Warehouse District (i.e., North of Dewdney) work with the proponents on this. An urban ballpark would be great, but a venue used this infrequently should not be pitched as a catalyst and great land opportunities shouldn't be squandered (i.e., No to The Yards).

Soccer stadium:
It's still vague/unclear if this and the ballpark are to be combined, but if it's to be it's own facility
1) REAL next to existing indoor soccer pitches
2) Same as above. An "urban" venue would be great, but this and the ballpark should not occupy lands that have great potential (i.e., The Yards) but some sort of secondary site within the Warehouse District would be neat during the summer.

Also, outside of the library and aquatics centre, the City should limit any public $ it contributes. I believe the City's support on these projects should be limited to providing land.
I think this sums up my opinion completely, CCF! The only thing that I'm wondering about is the ball park and soccer field. They somehow think this can be combined. I can't picture how this would look. However, I'm concerned this will end up in The Yards. With the amount of land it will gobble up including parking, it will just be a frozen wasteland for a big chunk of the year.