View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 29, 2020, 4:47 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
Yes that is correct. I know there are some suburbs way out west, like St. Charles/Geneva, where many unincorporated burbs rely on well water (which stinks if you're not used to it). The MWRD serves Cook county primarily, but spills over a little (pun intended) into parts of other counties, DuPage and Will specifically. I do not know other primary water sources of collar counties
Looks like yes, almost all of Cook County is on lake water. Same goes for DuPage and half of Lake County. Will, Kane, Kendall, and McHenry are mostly pulling water from aquifers but I expect they will demand lake water be piped in as those aquifers start to deplete. For the record, I do not support any extensions of Lake Michigan water so long as they continue to dump water into irrigation systems and golf courses. Similar conservation measures should be used in MWRD territory as well, not to be hypocritical.

https://www.cmap.illinois.gov/2050/d...t/water-supply

Interestingly, Elgin and Aurora have invested in facilities to capture and treat water from the Fox River for their needs. That may be a solution for other suburbs as well, if they can band together to pay for their own facilities. Post-Deep Tunnel, the Des Plaines river may now be clean enough for this approach as well in the SW burbs, since it's basically just lake water anyway. Further cracking down on South Branch polluters may be needed.