View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 21, 2022, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
Greater Boston is easily #1 both per capita and in the aggregate: Ivy Leagues; respectable small, medium, and large private universities; top liberal arts colleges, and specialty art schools.

After that, it comes down to how much weight you give to “elite education” with high-ranking graduate and research programs across the board. I make note of this because the vast majority of “educated” people don’t hold graduate degrees, much less from elite institutions. The Bay Area and Chicagoland are “top heavy,” with Stanford/Cal/UCSF and UChicago/Northwestern, respectively. Neither have any noteworthy liberal arts colleges or “B or B+” institutions.

LA has Caltech, but it’s a small school with areas of specialty; UCLA is a public school with 47,500 students and its graduate business/law/engineering programs are mostly 1B; USC is a top-25 private school with a huge student population (over 49,000), but its graduate programs aren’t elite for the most part; and UCI is a large public school (36,500 students) that was established in 1965, but ranks higher than most other states’ flagship public universities. Pepperdine was, for a while, top-50.

Then there are liberal arts colleges: Pomona, Claremont McKenna, Harvey Mudd, Soka, Pitzer, Scripps, Occidental, and Thomas Aquinas all in the top 50.

Art/architecture/music: UCLA, USC, CalArts, Art Center, Otis, SCI-Arc, Colburn.

Film: (a lot)

If Yale and Princeton are considered NYC area schools (they are in the CSA, after all), then I’d rank NYC second.
Philadelphia is also heavy hitter. I'm not sure how I'd rank any particular metro after Boston, but Philadelphia would be close to the top of the list.