View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmemeadusjr View Post
Overhead wiring has always been a pet peeve of mine, especially in denser area like downtown. The more dense the area is, the more dense the wiring is, creating a horrible look. Water Street has had underground wiring for decades. It's time Duckworth and George Streets be considered, especially when the time comes to reconstruct the sidewalks and payment.
I would venture to say its a combination of the infrastructure being there for many decades, and cost cutting measures from developers, utilities, etc. which leads into the fact that NL is pretty much rock with a little bit of backfill/soil on top. Given the amount of strong winds and storms we get here there could be a good business case to have underground wiring with potential long term benefits. I suspect the overhead costs would be expensive that's why it's rarely done. Even many of the newer subdivisions in the city still have overhead lines. On the flipside, water and sewer lines and placed underground so I can't see why power lines can't be either. I know nothing about construction code and maybe separate holes need to be dug for power lines. I'll defer to someone with more knowledge in this area.