View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 12, 2020, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
I remember an old college lecture, where our prof highlighted that the Earth can sustain 30 billion people.The problem is human management..That's 30 billion people spread out and not concentrated. 30 billion people spread out and on the same page would be fantastic really!..Think of the innovations and creations that would come out of such a large pool of humans. but sadly we would screw it up, like we have done and keep doing.
Curious, by what metrics was this supported? I think it's really hard to say what number of people the Earth can support, and there is evidence that we may be approaching that limit already. The rapid growth of the human species occurred in a very short time window. It took 2 million years to get a global population of 1 billion humans, and only 200 years for that to go from 1 billion to 8 billion. Another way to look at it is, there are estimated to have been 100 billion humans to have ever existed, and nearly 10% of all the humans that have ever lived are alive today. I'm a millennial and roughly 3-4% of all humans that have ever lived, over the 2 million year history of humans, were born after me.