View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 12:40 PM
somewhere in-between

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMich View Post
I almost lost my breath seeing that site plan until you told me the parking was in the back. lol

Anyway, I kind of wonder what the height limit is for new commercial buildings in downtown Midland? Everything seems to be limited to two or three stories, it seems, and I wonder if it's by design or if it's just mostly market forces in a small city?
That's a good question. I dug into the zoning ordinance a little bit. Here's what I found:

Zone D (Downtown District) has a maximum height of 76 feet (per Article 26 - Schedule of Regulations). That's the tallest that I see. Zone DNO (Downtown Northside Overlay District) has a 2 story minimum, 76 foot maximum. And if it is zoned PUD (Planned Unit Development-Overlay District) the maximum height determined by that zone may be exceeded, provided certain conditions are met.

My guess is that mostly market forces are driving the height (or lack thereof) right now. While it would be great to see a few projects in the 5 - 6 story range downtown, if they can keep getting positive infill at 2 - 3 stories I'm content.