View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 20, 2016, 3:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatism415 View Post
Encasing a door in a display frame just because a rescue worker sprayed a '9 13' two days after 9/11? Come on... That would have been a perfectly good and useful door. Remove the pane and send it to the museum downstairs if it's so important.

On a related note, I'm curious to see what becomes of the "WTC newsstand & novelties" lot, the last WTC retail space to be shuttered.
I think it's pretty obnoxious that the encased door is right in the middle of the set. They could have at least moved it to the least trafficked side...

Also, as of the last time I was at the E WTC Station (maybe 1 month ago), the WTC Newstand was still (barely) open, with honestly maybe 15 magazines on the racks. Seemed like the guy refused to sell / close no matter what. Did they finally push him out? That'd be sad, that corner is about to get a huge boost in traffic, for the first time since 9/01. If it is still open, I wonder if he'll uncover the WTC in the name, which he had blacked out years ago.

Edit: Nvm, I didn't read to the bottom of the Times article:
Quote:
Neither will WTC Newsstand & Novelties, next to the passageway, which was owned and operated by the brothers Reajul Islam and Fakrul Alam-Onar. In September 2015, Mr. Islam said business had dropped to between $100 and $200 a day, from $2,000 to $3,000 a day when the passageway was in use. The few people who stopped by, he said, limited themselves to bottled water or candy bars.

Mr. Islam said at the time that he needed the passageway to reopen “immediately” if business was to recover. More than a year elapsed. The newsstand straggled along. Then, at the end of November, the brothers surrendered their lease to the Metropolitan Transportation Authority.

A spokesman for the agency said the newsstand would probably be demolished.
That's sad. They held on for 15 years and finally gave in weeks before it re-opened. Kinda wish we could start a gofundme or something to get them back in their corner.