View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 24, 2010, 5:18 AM
heavy user of walkability

Mission Bayside

I noticed today that they were digging in the dirt mound that has been sitting covered for probably over a year, just south of the parking lot for the boat club at the bayside foot of the Commons.

here's a shot from the top of the South St garage, looking east-southeast toward the Bay. South Street is in the foreground and the southwest corner of the Old Navy building is on the left.

beyond the ON building, South Street ends at Terry François Blvd. coming from the left (north), it is in its new alignment, but as it continues south it hooks toward the Bay (at the site of the new dirt-play) to meet up with its former self. soon (I wish I knew the timeline off the top of my head) the rest of TFB will be pulled inland, and the land that remains on the bayside will be converted into a waterfront park. if I understood an article I read the other day correctly, they have recently evicted the occupants of the low sort of ramshackle building you can see at the water's edge, since it is to be demolished. (I believe they are keeping and renovating the more solid boxy building to its left.) all this to say, I am intrigued if the dirt moving is any indication that the realignment of TFB, and maybe even then conversion to park, is imminent.

in the Bay you can see the remains of the piers that have crumbled into the water there. in the water off to the right is part of the functioning dry-dock facility at the Pier 70 complex. just out of the picture to the right is the large hospital ship Mercy, currently in for maintenance, and quite noticeable with its white paintjob and huge red crosses.

Last edited by timbad; Jan 24, 2010 at 5:40 AM.