Thread: Winnipeg Jets
View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 27, 2023, 7:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jabroni View Post
Our prospects like Rutger and Brad have been having a stellar season in their junior teams. Rutger seems closer to come to the big leagues than Brad.

I hope for the sake of the team that they're the next core players. We are already on that cusp of all-in or blow it up next season with the current Jets roster we have.

We just need to secure enough wins to hold onto our wild card spot.
A rebuild is definitely going to happen by 2024.

Wheeler is in his final season next year, and at $8.25 million, he isn't going anywhere since nobody has any interest in him. He will be turning 38 when his contract ends, and the Jets would not be wise to offer him anything over a short term contract, possibly at $2.5 million/year.

Scheifele's contract ends in 2024, and unlike Wheeler, there is considerable demand for a #1 C. Scheif will be 31, and I can't see him resigning with the Jets. Hopefully we can get a good return for him. A #1 draft pick, and a good prospect.

PLD contract is up, and technically the ball is in our court, and he is an RFA. He doesn't want to play in Winnipeg, but I sure hope he changes his mind, but I am not optimistic. PLD will will be 24 in summer, and could fetch a great return (a first round pick, prospect, and a proven young player). If the Jets do sign him, it will only be for a year, as he becomes a UFA in 2024.

We should pull out all stops to sign Hellebuyck. He is the backbone of the Jets since 2017. I would be prepared to offer him a $10 million/year contract until he turns 37. However, if he wants to play elsewhere, keep him until the trade deadline. It's better to get nearly a full season with Helly, than trade him and force the club to look for a UFA goalie. Keep in mind that the last time we did this (Steve Mason), it did not end well.