View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 4, 2021, 7:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3189 View Post
Yeah, housing for profit, like healthcare and other baseline things in our society for profit, is a shitty game to play for everyone involved.

I understand landlords need to pay their bills and make some living, but gradually increasing the rent for tenants who often have incomes that are continuing to be stretched thin just sounds awful.

And, no, telling the tenants ( if they are reliable and pay on time) that they just have to accept the rising rent or get the fuck out, is not the most realistic thing to do. Not every neighborhood is going to attract high paying individuals.

I like that profit cap idea. It may actually help foster a better relationship between tenants and landlords.
I'll just address health care. I have worked 36 hours straight at times. I have watched people I came to actually love die because they had incurable diseases. More than a few times I actually cried when I got home. And almost every day I wondered if decisions I made or things I did were correct. Feelings of inadequacy go with the territory if you aren't an egotist.

Like most people, I'm no saint. Many people here think I'm a jerk I expect (and few make that clear almost daily). So I have to admit I wouldn't have done any of this and rather would have done something with regular hours and decisions about something like money rather than peoples' lives if it didn't pay well. If you think doing what people in health care do shouldn't involve profit (or relatively high pay), you are dreaming. Saints aside, nobody puts themselves through what doctors and nurses do for peanuts nor do they put the hours and sweat others put into late nights in a lab inventing new drugs or tabulating data for a research project (or the thesis it took to qualify them to do the work). Yeah, the work can certainly be fulfilling but not enough to have to worry about paying your own mortgage or putting your kids through college on top of everything else.

So I think your comment is just ignorant.

As for landlords, that's no fun either IMHO which is why I've chosen not to get involved in it. Who needs calls from bitchy tenants at all hours?