View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 8, 2021, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
How is it Toronto-Ottawa takes three hours, and Toronto-Montreal four hours, but Ottawa-Montreal still takes 1:40?
to be explained but apparently there will be a bypass of Ottawa for Montreal bound trains to cut km's travelled.

Also important to note that the table showing current and future travel times does not include delays - only 60% of trains today arrive on time. Many are unreliable and delayed by heavy freight traffic on the existing corridor. I can speak to it from the few times I've taken the train to Montreal - it's always been late by 15-30 minutes.

The new corridor will improve trip trimes, but it's main focus is on frequency and reliability.

At the end of the day true HSR is too expensive to be politically palatable. We are looking at $50+ billion CAD most likely.. This project can get off the ground for 1/10th the cost and deliver service that is very similar. Frankly I'm not sure the few extra minutes of travel time savings from 350km/h HSR is worth the crazy amount of additional cost.