View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 21, 2018, 3:58 PM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21C CHI>LA View Post
we appreciate this type of attitude "breaking the rules" attitude in rock and rap, why not architecture?
bigger budgets and "dream" clients don't happen everyday.
i would have to think, yes, this building is WAY BETTER THAN THE WALGREEN'S (a recurrent theme here). so get over it.
and better than the bashing it's being given on this thread. so architect ronan, take it on the chin, dust yourself off and live to fight another day.
Breaking the rules is great and all (I don't see this building doing that?), but a rock or rap song that's a jumbled mess and doesn't go anywhere logically or stylistically doesn't make for a good, or even listenable, song. Same goes with architecture.

Yes, this building is better than the old two story Walgreens that was here. But almost anything else would have been quantitatively better than that previous use, that doesn't mean we have to settle for a dumpster fire of an office tower simply because it crossed the threshold of a bar that's been set very low.

I don't know about you, but I'm not simply happy to settle for whatever blasé design happens to ride into town. This is Chicago, not Topeka. We can and should be critical of architecture that does not contribute to or meet the standards of the city's rich architectural heritage.