Thread: The Dad Thread
View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 4, 2022, 2:14 PM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post
As the new dad of a seven-month old born in the very late 1970s, I came late to this. I wouldn't counsel anyone to wait that long. That said, it's kind of amazing how even the most difficult periods have never led to my really doubting that this was the right thing to do. It's almost amazing. If I described these situations to my childless self, that would have been the obvious conclusion, but it's just not the felt reality.

I will say that it is an incredible motivation to take care of myself.

As someone almost in that age range who is currently childless but has a somewhat decent chance of that changing that in the next year or so - it seems extremely daunting. I visit my best friend who's my age and has a 1 year old and all of it seems very, very hard. But I do think there's a lot of truth that your brain chemistry literally changes to make it so you don't regret it (or murder them!). He's literally said the same thing as you about explaining it to his childless self, which also applies to explaining it to me.
Having a support network seems crucial as well.

My wife and I have been "trying" (I hate when people say that but can't think of a better word) for the past couple years without anything. And really it's been more of a "we'll see what happens" situation. So we aren't going to be devastated if it doesn't happen, but decided to try IVF for one last attempt since it's relatively cheap with the combo of government coverage and private insurance. Chances aren't great at our age but will see how it goes.

It's wild how the years get by you and all of a sudden it's basically too late. I could see it being very difficult for someone deadset on having kids. I was never of that mind but assumed it was a 50/50 it would happen, and higher once I got married.