View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 5:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago103 View Post
I think many of you are underestimating the chances of a runoff. I believe a strong majority of those undecideds are anti-Rahm voters who are undecided about which of the other candidates to vote for. I live near Midway and people out here don't really like Rahm Emanuel at all, even machine people who were rock solid behind Daley 8+ years ago don't have the same loyalty to Rahm, not even close. Most rank and file neighborhood people are talking about their Aldermanic races (like where I am in the 23rd) and not the Mayor's race but there is still a lot of anybody but Rahm sentiment out there.
I'm sorry, but I can't take your post seriously given the above in bold. Did you pay attention to the last election? Rahm is anything, but machine. The machine people hate him. Chico was a machine candidate and lost, effectively beheading the machine for the first time in decades. Virtually his first move in office was to strip Ed Burke (a classic machine prince if there ever was one) of his cadre of on duty police officers. People who are long time machine supporters loathe him and with good reason.

Also, what makes you think Rahm would have any chance of losing a runoff? Chuy is going to get less than half as many votes as Rahm, it would take an absolute miracle for him to more than double his vote count. Rahm is going to dump money on his competitors in the next couple of weeks and push his numbers over. If you split the undecideds along the same lines as the results, Rahm beats the runoff by about 1%. That's also assuming that Rahm doesn't push that ratio up at all with his mountain of cash.