View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 18, 2022, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri View Post
I'm not ignoring anyone arguments. I just don't count London as polycentric for the purpose of this thread.

It's very straightforward: you don't say London plus hyphen as you do for Guangzhou-Shenzhen or Washington-Baltimore.

This thread is about how large a "city" (without hyphen) can grow.
Those aren't cities. They are agglomerations of multiple cities, or "metropolitan areas", but a metro area is not a city. That's why you use a hyphen between the names of each individual city.

A polycentric city is a city (singular) with multiple centers. A monocentric city is a city with a single CBD.

Your thread title asks "How large can a city grow?" The city referred to is singular, and agglomerations of cities or megalopoli have nothing to do with the question.

But my answer is STILL that a city like London, Tokyo or LA can grow to unlimited size, because no one needs to be able to get to a certain part of it from anywhere and everywhere (because they are polycentric!).
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov