View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 8, 2019, 8:19 PM

I live on Spruce, and all the lights in Wash West are synchronized. You can drive westbound from Front to Broad on Spruce and never stop (when there's no traffic). Likewise, you can drive eastbound from Broad to Front on Pine and South and never stop.

With two-way streets like Broad Street or Washington Avenue in South Philadelphia, lights are timed such that every two stoplights is on the opposite schedule (e.g., on Washington Ave., 12th & 11th and 7th & 8th are green while 10th & 9th and 5th & 6th are red). Depending on block length, this allows groups of cars to travel non-stop in both directions at about 25 mph, passing each other at every other block.

Just a casual observation from somebody who grew up in the South, but I find it so odd how the typical Philadelphia driver refuses to utilize timed lights. Instead, so many drivers here speed to the next light before it turns green. This happens on Broad Street all the time. Why do that when you can practically set the cruise control on 25 mph and never stop?

Anyways. Super off topic but my experience has been that the lights in Philadephia generally are timed pretty well. Columbus Blvd. is a major exception.