View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 8, 2020, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryn1 View Post
My building downtown has night time security. Most do.
Wow. I've heard the opposite. Or nothing at all. This was my query a few posts ago.

roryn1, so there are building security guards, or at least one where you live? You've been chased home off the street before. You've said people have followed you home and threatened you as you were coming home. Is there any way you could notify your building security guard of the threat you're feeling by cell phone? Do you have a 'hot line' for residents? Maybe your model of security can help others get organized, if it works.

Instead of cowering in fear or running and moving away, residents should stand up for their neighbourhoods, especially this one, north dt/city park, so beautiful by the river. Just like the folks organizing patrols to monitor the police, many neighbourhoods in other cities organize community watch patrols. It gives folks a chance to socialize, get exercise and feel good about making their hood a better, safer place to live. Complaining is the easiest thing to do from an armchair. Saskatoon is known for their volunteers and friendship through festivals. Why wouldn't residents volunteer to make their own neighborhoods better and face the problems head on, with compassion and understanding? I don't get it. There seems to be a huge disconnect.

The groups wanting to monitor the police should in fact be working with them, becoming the intermediaries between the police and the street urchins, since they're out there anyway. Instead of more standoffs, we'd have more community synthesis. Yes, of course, they don't have any level of expertise or training, but a workable model could transpire from this mire in the future.

Last edited by Ricopedra; Nov 9, 2020 at 4:29 PM. Reason: more